Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My journey to Islam ( a sister reverted to Islam after 3 years of search )



Assalam Alaikum My Dear Sisters,
My journey to Islam began during a trip to Morocco in 2005. Before this trip all I knew about Muslims is that they believe that Jesus (peace be upon him) was not the son of God & they didn't eat pork. I arrived in Morocco very late, so it was early morning before I was finally able to lay down to go to sleep. That's the first time I ever heard the adhan, I remember thinking to myself, well I'm definitely in a Muslim country, what did I get myself into? Monday-Friday my sister & brother in law would come to the house for lunch, everyday before lunch my brother-in-law would pray. This is the first time I had ever seen a Muslim pray. During my trip the family took me to a small village outside of Marrakesh called Ourika. There were of course people selling various things alongside the road, 1 vendor was selling clay minarets, my sister-in-law picked up 1 & asked me "What about this?" I told her no, when she asked why I told her because I'm not Muslim nor will ever become a Muslim.
The major part of the time in Morocco I was in Casablanca. While in Casablanca when I would go outside the family would insist that I wear hijab. When I returned home this is a habit I continued but not on a consistent bases not really understanding what it meant.
A couple of years later my husband left me & we eventually got divorced. I then became interested in a man from Jordan. I decided that since I seem to be interested in Muslim men then I need to understand some basic things about Islam. My intended then introduced me to a sister from Massachusetts, that sister then introduced me to a sister that was holding classes on Yahoo about different aspects of Islam. I began to attend those classes everyday.
After some time the sister asked me what was holding me back from accepting Islam. I told her Jesus (peace be upon him). She explained to me that Muslims hold Jesus (peace be upon him) in the highest respect, they accept his virgin birth, they accept him as the Messiah, but that he was only a prophet, & not the son of God. So I finally took my shahada after much prayer & thought a week after my birthday in April 2008.
All in all my journey to Islam took 3 years. I have been a Muslimah for 6 years now, alhamdulilah.

0 comments: